12.15.2009

Test Anxiety

I was entirely nervous with putting excessive effort in studying microbial genetics to ace the final on Thursday in order to get an A overall that even before I met my teacher during office hours, I've been getting these worrisome dreams every day.

The one that caught my head right now was my dream right before I woke up this morning. I'm sitting with my classmates in a grayish room, & my teacher gave the rest of our homework back--in reality we work on non-graded material & only the tests & quizzes are graded. When I got mine, I saw failing grades, & I would note the dreaded red zero marks on the left margins of my papers. I was feeling distraught & highly upset, & suddenly I'm in waking mode.

Now I'm glad & relieved that I saw her when I needed help with particular questions. She noted my weakness with test-taking, such as thinking too much & being too anxious. I left the office with this :I visage, but shortly after, I told myself I just need to breathe. Sure I'm still slightly apprehensive, but I find it blessed that I am able to know myself what are my most effective study skills in order to at least perform the test without, in my professor's words, "shooting myself."

Just be prepared, answer questions appropriately, quickly write the ones you know straight up compared to the other problems, & just imagine that once you're done, it's a personal achievement that you're one of the few out of 40+ students that you know you're not struggling in her class =).