2.06.2009

The School Woes

Wednesday:

Bacterial Pathogenesis class was super lame; we spent 30+ min./75 min. worth on one slide that a myriad of my fellow classmates, including myself, got themselves confused b/c of their awfully different interpretations about the stupid bacteria w/ a recombinant genome that may infect a lab rat. I decided to go to Dr. Zhang's office hours. Shit, I never expected to be so damn nervous, I mean, having the worst apprehension ever towards a teacher just to ask a couple of questions.

I now got the hang of regularly going to my professors for help without hesitation (in short, I used to be afraid to approach to them but no more =D). But this guy, so far, is way worse than my current Biochemisty teacher, or even my General Chemistry professor 2 years ago. I can't simply ask him topics I'm confused with; I have to actually answer my own version on the question I myself am baffled before he tells me his answer. And I felt really dumb for declining the offer of small group session (since 2 people were waiting before me) and having a one-on-one interaction instead; I'm seriously & nervously pausing, all sweating & concentrating my ass off, to answer: "What is the purpose of this 2nd construct? Why do we have a positive during infection and negative on the agar plate? Why do you think the reconstitutive gene serves as a control?" And that solo session took a good 1/2 an hour to eventually get the answers I'm looking for ^_^.

Okay, so it's not that bad, but this is my 1st time on encountering a teacher who really wants me to think critically already when I just want a simple & clear explanation about the Lac(minus) observation, for instance. He's really nice & enthusiastic when lecturing but a tough mofo during help hours. At least I know the strategy next time, but hopefully it won't happen again. The textbook is actually fun to read anyway.


Thursday:

Walrus. Lmao. Enough said.


Today:

Reggie & I are cheap asses by ordering just one to-go lunch tray at Zen Buffet for $5. But what sucks, for me especially, is that you can't even put the sushi rolls in the styrofoam. Yet we had a rather satisfying lunch--we obviously had rice already cooked at mi casa--cuz Reggie was able to put a meatload of crap =).

I was also feeling the withdrawal symptoms of caffeine, & so I was irritated to Reggie that even for diet coke he didn't want me to consume it. And I couldn't handle this mood while walking to Ecology class, & thus I had to buy the vanilla coffee at the Nugget (mMm, I liked my custom version, heh) & quickly downed it before class started.

Then I went to my research meeting & the colleagues & I went to Yogurtland; I loved my kiwi/cookies & cream yogurt. From margaritas at the lab in 2 weeks to the elder pervs at the gym were some of the random topics Eric conversated, which is cool yet ironic...Margaritas on the weekend before his molecular cell biology test: total awesomeness haha.

Progress on my study: swell, but Eric & I agreed that I found a shitload of reagent steps on a protocol I found online. Yet I find it wonderful that he really wanted my FISH researching to be so much easier than expected. In short, I really like working on his research so far.


I'll off to S.D. tomorrow (hopefully just only visit that day) & chill & chat with the mother before she heads to the P.I. very soon. And maybe I can have Sharky back since my parents are taking forever "maintaining the car."

Rain is just too awful; next weekend it is...