9.18.2009

Personal Statement I

It feels so good & so invigorating to being able to fully understand a shitload of myself.

Two superficially tiny yet important episodes helped me learned a permanent life lesson. One is when I was casually chatting to my friend about how I love college way more than high school. I explained that I was never how I am now: less shy & more outgoing. He asked me if I was ever this nerdy [in HS], & I confidently answered, "I was afraid of being nerdy." I don't know, I thought it was strange, now that I realize how f'in long it took for me to expose my true colors. I'm happy being a loving, goofy dork because I'm open-minded & I don't want to be ashamed of who or what I love. I don't want to get too mushy in other details, but it just shows that at the right moment, you'll definitely figure out who you really are, who matters to you the most, & that you are the one who chooses your own destiny, regardless if you're 16 years old or even when you're starting to get sags =P, lol.

The other one is when I was at a clinic yesterday. A Nurse Practitioner noticed that I've been a bit apprehensive based on my unavoidably obvious facial expressions & commented, "You seem to be nervous about something; is there any question you'd like to ask?" I replied, "Have you always wanted to become a Nurse Practitioner?" And from that point we had an interesting conversation by learning that she is passionate for women's health and thus she became a midwife and then decided to go further by obtaining the NP certificate because, candidly, she hated working graveyard shift. This circumstance made me thought that, you know what, when I start undergoing my internship as a Clinical Care Extender at a Long Beach hospital in November, I pray that I will gain a hint of establishing a career milestone. Anything can change, that's the cold hard truth, but it's up to you if want to embrace the change or be bitter about it for the rest of your life.